Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Serving the Agent for Service of a Corporation in California

Photo By Ambro
In California, a corporation must have a registered agent (also known as an agent for service) listed in the articles of incorporation or other filing document to accept service of any lawsuit or claim against the corporation. ¹ However, the registered agent is not the only person that can be served in a corporation; the following list of officers of the corporation or its general manager can also be served: 

·         President of CEO
·         Vice President
·         Corporate Secretary or Assistant Secretary
·         Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer, or CFO
·         General Manager
·         Anyone designated by the corporation to receive service of process ².

In situations where the above entities cannot be located and all efforts have been made to locate the addresses, it is possible to deliver the documents to the California’s Secretary of State.  (Check with the Secretary of State for rules and procedures).   


(2)   The Registered Process Server’s Guide to Service of Process in California, 4th Edition, 2010, Tony Klein

1 comment:

  1. I read that the common term for agents are "Liaison Officers" involving a similar work set. Though it is noted that California is one of the biggest employers of virtual assistants, who's task ranges from IT to accounting.