Wednesday, May 16, 2012

If You Can't Serve The Agent for Service of a California Corporation

Photo By:
In California, a corporation must have a registered agent (also known as an agent for service) listed in the articles of incorporation or other filing document to accept service of any lawsuit or claim against the corporation. ¹ If an agent for service is not available for service, the following list of officers of the corporation or its general manager can also be served:

  •  President or CEO
  • Vice President
  • Corporate Secretary or Assistant Secretary
  • Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer, or CFO
  • General Manager
  • anyone designated by the corporation to receive service of process ².

In situations where the above entities cannot be located and all efforts have been made to locate the addresses, it is possible to deliver the documents to the California’s Secretary of State. (Contact the Secretary of State for rules and procedures).


(2)  The Registered Process Server’s Guide to Service of Process in California, 4th Edition, 2010, Tony Klein

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure forex brokers strongly adheres to this policy. Seriously, who would want to risk their bread and butter because of misinformation?